Thursday, October 14, 2010

Suckatash! A Southern dish that's bound to please


Growing up in the deep South, Mobile, Alabama Suckatash was a extraordinary Southern dish made for me by my Grandmother during Fall weather. This versatile dish is easy to make and can be served over rice, by it's self. It is also good with warm cornbread, as a side dish or with smoked sausage.  A few days ago a cousin woke me up from a day nap, asking if I wanted to come over to visit. On the way to her home we made a stop by the Grocery store to pick up items we would need to cook dinner. Every time I go over to a family's members home It is required for me to cook wither I want to or not. I picked up collared greens. Stuff to make baked macaroni, friend chicken. and fresh okra to go into the greens. Once home my cousin looking at the beautiful okra and said " What else could we cook with the okra"? I know, Suckatash!!! We I thought? I always do all of the cooking with her just looking. I hope one day my cooking can rub off on her, But they all seam to forget how I make anything.




It had been 6 or more years since I have cooked this dish so I needed to refresh my memory. After taking a quick look for recipes on the Internet I was not pleased with what I was seeing, I would not feed the stuff they called Suckatash to my dog. Finely I found one that was more like my Old Southern Mobile upbringing. I was please with the finished dish that night but the fresh okra was a little crunchy for me. If using fresh okra you will have to cook them down longer then the dish takes to make. Frozen okra is the next best thing and that's what I used this time.   

                                                                            


Ingredients


1 pound of frozen okra


1 pound of frozen corn


I can of diced tomatoes


1 small onion diced


1 half bell pepper diced


5 slices of bacon chopped


1 half pound of smoked sausage chopped  


Salt and pepper to taste



 Fry chopped bacon until golden brown.


Add smoked sausage and saute onion and bell pepper.


Add okra and cook for a few min




Now add can tomatoes and corn cook down for about 10-15-min and add salt and pepper to taste.



I like this dish by it's self with homemade cornbread and a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment