Monday, June 7, 2010

How would beignets & café au lait be served 200 years ago?


I don't have a lot of time on my hands but when I do I like to treat myself in first half of the 19th century hospitality style. Having discovered the secret ingredient left out of the Café du Monde beignet mix {salt & suger} I have been making beignets almost every day. One day I thought If I were living 200 years ago how would this New Orleans Creole treat be served. As I love to stage I look thru my collection of decorative arts and found all of the components to set up a early 19th century feast. Late 18th century English serving dish marked by Royal Crown Derby with gold gilt lion face mask and handpainted cornflowers one of French Queen Marie Antoinette's favorite flower. Because of her, porcelain painted with cornflowers became popular during the last quarter of the 18th century. The plate also painted with cornflowers and gold gilt stars is attributed to the English Royal Crown Derby factory but is unmarked, dates from the late 18th century early 19th century. The Rare Empire Paris porcelain café au lait Cup and saucer painted with a exotic tropical bird dates from the early 19th century as well as the American Philadelphia made coin silver spoon next to the cup. This was a treat to experience food as it would have been served 200 years ago!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, This is a great idea. I can't make beignets so I'll have to stick with blackberry cobbler. The next time I cook a special dessert I'll make a picture for my blog for you. I look forward to all of your posts already. Marshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beigenets are so easy to make all you need is the Café du Monde beignet mix that you buy in stores and a fry daddy to keep the oil @ 350'. That's funny I bought a Miss Smith Blackberry cobbler today and had half of it. I buy one or two a week. Blackberry cobbler with Bluebell ice cream is my all time favorite dessert! Since I have been back home I have picked over 20lbs of wild blackberry's and have made a few cobblers myself. I love being back in the deep South! I have eaten more blackberry's over the last month then I have my hole life.

    ReplyDelete